Friday, August 26, 2005

Google Talk

Raise your hand if you were underwhelmed by Google Talk not only being Windows-only, but a desktop app. ::raises hand::

I'm sure I'm not the only one scratching my head over Google's decision to do a desktop app as opposed to a web client. It's not like it hasn't been done before — AOL's AIM Express is, as far as I can tell, a pure DHTML IM client although I can't tell for sure if it's a persistent connection or polling. Actually, I don't care; AIM Express rocks. It does the job, works in Moz, 'nuff said.

Most likely Google Talk is chained to the desktop due to it's VoIP features. Fair enough, I don't think, uh, VoIP-over-HTTP is a worthwhile endeavor right now. Maybe the IM features are just a nice-to-have thrown in on top of an app that was initially designed to make VoIP as easy as IM.

But still, kind of a strange sideways move for Google.

3 Comments:

At 3:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

MSN has a web client as well:

http://webmessenger.msn.com/

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger scottandrew said...

christopher: I agree. The more I think about it, the ability to just have instant VoIP, more-or-less free to the consumer, is an awesome thing to have.

Seems like I (and a lot of people) are too focused on the IM features. Which makes me wonder why they bothered?

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger David said...

Eh, the IM part was probably simple enough (Jabber), so it's nice to have in there. The ability to do instant on/off voice chat is pretty useful when you have folks working all around the country. Insta-conference baby.

That said, it isn't revolutionary by any stretch of the imagination. Well executed, yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home